Communication & Connection
By Je’ Von Ikner
We are in interesting times as a society, a time where connection and communication are becoming interchangeable. While technology has made it seamless to communicate, this very thing has also made it difficult and less meaningful to connect.
Just to be clear, communicating has it’s place in our society, however, we also need to know how to connect. Social media; in my opinion, is the number 1 contributor to this fusion of communication and connection. We are gauging our value in life with the amount of likes we get from our most recent post rather than through the quality of our interaction.
We are actually replacing time spent with our friends with time spent checking out their feed. We even check their feed when we’re together with them.
It’s time to balance this out!
What the world needs is connection, because connection leads to empathy, adventure and authentic experience…and at the end of the day, when we are lying on our deathbed, it is these experiences we will value the most and wish we had more of.
5 signs you may need to Unplug for a bit:
1. You find yourself wanting to go places for the opportunity to let people know you went there through social media.
2. Your social media post is influenced by the amount of likes you think you will get.
3. You have a hard time sitting down and connecting with people without checking your phone.
4. You are gauging the quality of your life by what you see on social media.
5. You don’t have boundaries around when you check your social media apps.
Thankfully, we have a brand new tool ‘Campfire by OEX’ www.campfireapp.io | https://appsto.re/us/Y9J25.i that can help us to bring about this positive change in a fun way at the dinner table.
We can coach each other through this. I’d be interested in your thoughts on exploring ways to get more out of life by finding new ways to connect.